The Daly family were “New Ship – ers”. They attended the Independent Methodist Chapel in Walmsgate. In 1839, a group of members broke away from the Wesleyan Church. They were told they would perish if they did not return to the church, which was compared to a sound and safe vessel, but they were determined to build for themselves a “New Ship”. Their chapel has been called that ever since.
Copyright © Ken Wilson 1981